Here, we’re working on a building a parabolic mold for one of our prototypes…
I asked Greg, “So is this considered ‘hacking’ in the engineering sense?”
His response.. lots of laughter…
So I took that as a yes.
Nonetheless it worked pretty well. Successss! zing .
A few days ago Lesley and Bryan decided to order chinese food for dinner and with it came a very timely fortune cookie
We would be lying if we said that we weren’t at all nervous about making the trek halfway across the world to a part of the world that is entirely different from our own… Needless to say, our spirits raised a bit after opening this one up!
This pup is Aurora. She is our mascott – second to the sun of course – and she keeps us company and likes to constantly remind us how cute she is by getting in the middle of – everything.
in this garage, ok the backyard too..
Yup, this is where the magic happens. We’ve been prototyping night and day to get ready. Lesley and Bryan have been owning the fresnel design – our sunBOX, while Greg has been working on the OG – otherwise known as Original Gangster - and the Umbrella – ella ella, eh eh eh.
Amanda has been owning the trip logistics, user testing material, this blog…and helps out where she can on prototyping as well.
- Greg Lee *homeboy* is a Master’s student in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford University. He received his undergraduate degree in ME from Stanford as well. He currently works at D-Rev and previously worked at CoolEarth Solar for two years, a utility-scale solar power venture in the bay area.
- Nathan Parkhill *the Apple Guy* works for Apple and helps out on the engineering side for FromConcentrate. He received his M.S and B.S from Stanford in Mechanical Engineering.
- Lesley Silverthorn *d.thorn with d.puppy* will be working at D2M in the fall. She graduated from Stanford with a B.S and M.S in Mechanical Engineering.
- Bryan Duggan *fromtheGREATlakes* is also a Master’s student in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford. He received his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from Kettering University. He previously worked at Johnson Controls.
- Patty Buckley *Adult Supervision* received her MBA from theGSB at Stanford and is also working towards a Master’s in Public Administration at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. Prior to grad school, Patty worked at Google for 4 years, in California, Brazil and Argentina.
- Amanda Gonzalez *Young’n w/skillz* is a Master’s student inManagement Science and Engineering (MS&E) with a focus on Energy and the Environment. She finished up her undergraduate work this year in MS&E. Amanda is interested in social entrepreneurship, social justice, and sustainable development.
This Spring, Team From Concentrate made a pact to do something for those who need it most – the other 90% living on $2/day.
We’re a team of 6 Stanford students and grads dedicated to empowering rural household communities with affordable and reliable electricity. This summer 4 us will travel to Tanzania to work in villages near Karatu, setting up power systems for households that have explicitly asked for one .
We’ll try to update our blog with our progress, failures, and discoveries. Stay tuned.